Day 1- Monday August 4
Today was the “fly-on” to USS ESSEX. And thus begins the next phase of the journey. A few people flew the birds down to
There wasn’t much to do once we arrived besides carry our heavy bags up the rather steep and narrow ladder wells and passageways (P-ways) of the ship to our room. I share a stateroom with the two other junior pilots, and considering the circumstances, our quarters are adequate for sure. Plenty of storage space as long as we stay reasonably organized, and a 3-high stack of beds (I’m on the top). After we moved our personal gear in and I took a couple of rounds to learn my paths to and from work, we headed out for our first night in
Day 2 – Tuesday August 5
Still a day in port, we started the day by getting off the ship while they conducted a change of command in the hangar decks. Most of us ran for the free wireless internet and for a little shopping for essential ship equipment. I had to pick up a sleeping bag and pillow. Trust me, you’d want one too if you saw the wool itchfest of a blanket and the 20 year-old hard as a rock pillow they provide. The real project of the day, however, was loading all of the detachment’s gear from the pier to the work spaces at the aft end of the ship. All in all, we carried on about 13 pallets worth of metal boxes, cases, cabinets, and shelves. A full day for sure, but with everyone working, we finished before too long. We took a turn in the wrong direction as far as dinners go, and we ate in the wardroom. I am, however glad to report that the food is above what I’d expect out of a warship. We headed out again with Todd as our tour guide. He’s spent more time in
Day 3 – Wednesday August 6
We pulled out of port on Wednesday, and made a short trek into the bay to drop anchor and ready the ship for the Tiger Cruise. Essentially that means that a bunch of the families of the ship’s company get to come onboard for a while to get an idea of what their sailor does on the ship. They had some demonstrations going, but unfortunately we were all occupied with briefs and our preparations for the next day’s events. I did manage to sneak into the gym before bedtime, and I hope to continue the trend of working out regularly on the ship. It seems to be the best method of stress relief.
Day 4 – Thursday August 7
This was the longest and most taxing day yet, but in my opinion, it was my first “real” day at sea. I had something on my plate all day long, and often more than one thing waiting for me. Two flight windows highlighted the day, but the time seemed to fly by like lightning though I had been up for 14 hours when I landed for the final time that evening.
The first flight was my first “air show” flight. The families on board crowded the aft part of the flight deck to watch our demonstration of a SAR (search and rescue.) Though not exactly the method we use, it demonstrated just about every aspect of an over-water SAR mission. Our aircraft passed by the ship and moved into position for a “10 and 10” which means we were 10 feet over the water, and moving at 10 knots. I gave the call of “jump jump jump” and the crew chief sent the 2 rescue swimmers out the door into the water. We took position toward the stern quarter of the ship and the second helicopter moved in to pick them up. Our swimmers were the simulated “survivors” of the demo and the other aircraft dropped their swimmer and climbed up to get the hoist ready to bring them up. I’ll try to get some of the official Navy pictures to post later, but I didn’t manage to get any with my camera. (I was a little busy).
The night portion of the flight was my initial qualification of NVD ship landings. Usually, we like to fly on goggles (night vision goggles) because we can see important things like the horizon and the ship. The problem is you can only see about a 40 degree field of view so you really have to keep your “head on a swivel” so to speak. During the pre-flight and FOD Walkdown (everyone lines up to check for debris on the flight deck), we knew it was going to be a fun night. The relative winds over the deck were around 45 knots (54 mph) and we had to fly at night? OK, sure. They died down a bit as the ship trekked on, but the ship had to turn which made most of the wind into a crosswind. After waiting a while for the winds to shift within limits (the ship had to slow down to reduce them) we launched the aircraft and were able to knock out enough landings to qualify me and re-qualify all of the pilots on our detachment. The winds never seemed unbearable, but they were definitely strong all night. The worst weather was a storm we could see right before our last landing, and about 2 minutes after we landed for the final time, the rain hit. I really do feel bad for the guys out on the deck when it hit, but watching it from the dry helicopter provided me with a pretty amazing view of some awesome weather. Thankfully the buckets of rain stopped by the time we shut everything down and exited the cockpit, but the wind didn’t appear to have an end in sight. An early morning awaited me, so after landing and getting a quick snack, it was bedtime for a rather exhausted pilot.

2 comments:
Apology accepted, but you still made me hungry. As I dig into these "awesome" Ramen noodles, you continue to eat quite fabulous. At least someone is! ;)
Cool updates, Dan. How about "Godzirra" for the mascot name? :)
Post a Comment