Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Departure and Arrival

Well deployment is officially in progress. Despite a hectic last couple of days and a 3 hour time change on our flight, all of us made it from Guam to Japan. The night before the flight left, all of us found out that rather than meeting at 10am for a 1pm departure (which meant that I would go into work at 7 to get some last-minute things done), we would be meeting at 7 for a 10am departure. Yeah... thanks, C-130. The flight was a rather surprisingly comfortable one. Most of the guys spent the flight sleeping on top of our cargo, listening to music, or reading. The 6 hour flight seemed like... well ok, it seemed like every minute of 6 hours. We're not talking about flying first class here. It felt more like flying a Harley, but instead of a bumpy road, we had propeller noise, vibrations, and less-than-comfortable seats. Arrival in Iwakuni was rather smooth, though the weather is still a bit warmer than I'd prefer. Thankfully, it's more like Utah summers instead of Guam's 90 humid degrees (feels like about 110). It looks like things are going to be pretty busy here for a couple of weeks while I get used to the job, the people, the base, and of course the flying. I'll keep everyone updated with stories and pictures as soon as I get them online. OK, back to work for me.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dan,
Nice blog. And who knew you could work a kimono like that?? Glad you arrived in Japan safely albeit uncomfortably. You mind if put a link to your blog on mine?
Take care,
Jenny (Mahler)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the blog. I'm not so web-savy as Jen and the rest of the gang, but I'll try to do better than I have been doing. I'm happy you arrived safely. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Aunt Mary

kevdawg said...

Hey, Dolan-San - nice blog - much better that you're the blogger - not me-san!
gotcha on auto-feed - will keep up your flights/events/fun.
love you, bud - daddyo

Eu, eu mesma e Iracema said...

Nice Blog!!!